Asus M2N-MX audio issues

Hi list,
I'm writing here to expose some issues that I encountered using alsa
with the Asus M2N-MX motherboard.

All tests I am reporting here have been done both with 2.6.19 and
2.6.20.rc5 kernels (the latter using alsa 1.0.14rc2 I suppose).

First: the soundcard is not working properly, not even when manually configured.
Second: the sound card is not properly configured/set up automatically.

FIrst: The M2N-MX motherboard has 3 jacks on the rear (headphones out,
line out, mic in), and a Front Panel Audio connector (10-1 PIN AAFP),
where I plugged the headphones out and mic in, which are provided with
my case. The only configuration which is acceptable (but NOT working)
for me is to load the snd-hda-intel module with options:
position_fix=1 model=3stack
With this config I get correct output on the front panel headphones
out, but no output is present on the two rear out ports. Moreover,
with alsamixer I can change the volume of the headphones both by
changing the headphones volume, or the PCM volume (like they were
bounded together).
I can't really understand the position_fix option (something regarding
DMA), but for the model option, I read that 3stack was added for
M2N-MX. However, it seems to me that still we have some issues with
this motherboard.

Second: Since a module parameter was added for this motherboard, it
would be beautiful if this parameter was set automatically when the
M2N-MX is used.

Provided that it won't damage my hardware, I am willing to help to
test things out, in order to make the driver working.

Any help/suggestion/comment is welcome.
Alfredo