envy24control - DMX 6fire - "Unable to read S/PDIF input switch: No such file or directory"

Greetings,

I installed Linux/ALSA on my computer housing a DMX 6fire the other day,
and found that I was unable with Alsamixer to make it play the S/PDIF
input from my CD-ROM drive.  I remembered that I used to use
envy24control way back in 2004 as a mixer for this card, but it seems
things have changed since 2004.

Running envy24control (v 0.6.0) now gives me the following at stdout:

corey@murasaki ~ $ envy24control
using    --- input_channels: 6
         --- output_channels: 6
         --- pcm_output_channels: 6
         --- spdif in/out channels: 2
Unable to read S/PDIF input switch: No such file or directory

And when I click any of the radio buttons in the Digital Input group
under the Hardware Settings tab, the following line is appended:

Unable to write S/PDIF input switch: No such file or directory

I have no idea what this could mean; it doesn't seem consistent that a
hardware switch on my sound card could be located at a file or directory
on my filesystem, unless it is referring to something in /proc?  Strace
yielded no clues to me.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
since my primary use for this hardware is CD playback.

Please do not tell me to play over ATA/SATA interface (digital audio
extraction).  That is not an acceptable solution for me.

Further hardware/software information:
Linux murasaki 2.6.18-gentoo-r6 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 20 02:32:05 CST
2007 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz GNU/Linux
Asus P5B
Terratec DMX 6Fire
ALSA version 1.0.14rc1