Re: External firewire/usb soundcard that works well with alsa ?

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Dobes Vandermeer wrote:

> Since I'm having so much trouble getting alsa to work with hda-intel,
> I'm considering trying an external option.  However, I'd rather not
> buy one just to discover that it doesn't work with alsa, either.
>
> All I'm going to do is connect it to my receiver using an optical
> connector, so it doesn't need a good DAC, connectors, or anything.  I
> just want it to work "no hassles" with alsa and do the SP/DIF output.
> Although, whether any sound card works "no hassles" with alsa I have
> yet to see, but so far I've been using emu10k1 and hda-intel both of
> which are known to have problems working with alsa.

OK, Do you really need the SP/DIF output?
I use the maudio tranist. It used to have problems but now it works well,
but I have only ever used it with the analog output. It is a very cheap
(<$100) card with very good performance at least in the 16 bit arena (it
basically has quantization noise-- or to be completely fair, maybe 3dB
above quantization noise floor). It is a minimal card-- one input aone
output. It does have an spdif output, but I have never used it so have no
idea if it works or what the problems are.

It is usb card, so it has a limitation ( eg you cannot record and play at
the same time at 96K) in bandwidth.