External firewire/usb soundcard that works well with alsa ?

Since I'm having so much trouble getting alsa to work with hda-intel,
I'm considering trying an external option.  However, I'd rather not
buy one just to discover that it doesn't work with alsa, either.

All I'm going to do is connect it to my receiver using an optical
connector, so it doesn't need a good DAC, connectors, or anything.  I
just want it to work "no hassles" with alsa and do the SP/DIF output.
Although, whether any sound card works "no hassles" with alsa I have
yet to see, but so far I've been using emu10k1 and hda-intel both of
which are known to have problems working with alsa.

Any recommendations?