how to define a "conditional" device?

Hello alsa-user.

I have a card that supports 4 speakers.
however I have only 2 speakers connected to it (to the "front" connector).

now I want the following configuration:
- when a 4-channel file is being played, route the rear channels to the front
channels (mix them).
- but when a mono file is played, copy the channel to both front speakers.

each of the mentioned tasks can be easily configured by .asoundrc. so I can
create 2 virtual devices, and play each file to the right device (e.g.
dev_stereo_or_more and dev_mono).

my question is:
is there a way to define a single (default) device that will "detect" how many
channels are opened and route accordingly, so that I don't need to tell the
application explicitly which device to use?

--
Best regard,
Avner Shapiro