Trouble with USB 96kHz playback

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting USB audio playback to work at a 96kHz
sampling rate.  The problem is that if I play a .wav file from the
command line with aplay ("aplay blah.wav") everything's fine for awhile,
but if I put any load on the machine (i.e., open a browser, etc) the
sound stops or becomes garbled, and the cpu load jumps up to 100%.  For
awhile I thought the problem was with gstreamer, because if I run:

  > gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=./blah.wav ! wavparse ! alsasink

the output tends to break after a just a couple of seconds.  aplay will
definitely run longer, but it will also eventually break.

As for configuration, I have a FC6 machine running kernel 2.6.18, with
the following alsa components installed:

 alsa-lib.i386                          1.0.12-2.fc6
 alsa-lib-devel.i386                    1.0.12-2.fc6
 alsa-tools.i386                        1.0.12-4.fc6
 alsa-utils.i386                        1.0.12-3.fc6
 alsa-plugins-1.0.12

I have a M-audio USB Transit card as the 2nd sound card; the first is a
Chaintech AV-710.  I'm using a very simple asound.conf file:

  pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "digital-mix"
  }

  pcm.digital-mix {
    type rate
    slave {
      pcm "hw:1,0"
      rate 96000
    }
    converter "samplerate_medium"
  }

At this point I'd appreciate any suggestions or debugging tips.  I also
apologize if this has been asked before, and if there's a fix just point
me in the right direction.  Or, maybe this just isn't suppose to work in
the first place...

Thanks,
Marc Alley