Re: FC6 audio differences

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:16 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 20:32, Lee Revell wrote:

> >> That is the same as calling system-config-soundcard from the cli.  And
> >> that part works, its just that kde now thinks the motherboard nvidia
> >> sound is the default.  Its the only sound it know about apparently.  I
> >> want the emu10k1/audigy 2 to be the default.
> >
> >Sounds like KDE may be configured to use OSS rather than ALSA?
> >Unfortunately I don't know how to check.  Must be in some KDE control
> >panel...
> >
> nope, everything BUT kde is working as near as I can tell, but it can't
> even find /dev/audio1 OR /dev/audio, I must leave that entry blank. And
> then the test sound comes out in the headphones plugged into the nvidia
> jacks.

I just tried to test this. This is on a test fc6 install (x86_64), I
logged in using kde, went to the "Control Center" then "Sound and
Multimedia", then "Sound System", then the tab labeled "Hardware" and I
finally selected "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" from the plugin. It
said "restarting audio system" or something like that and AFAICT sound
is going to my delta66 card (and not to the mobo chipset), I can see the
vu meters in envy24control move when the terminal bell should ring...

You may need to logout and the login again for kde to see changes in the
alsa configuration (like changing the ordering of cards). It may also be
necessary to restart the audio subsystem but fc6 does not provide a way
to do this out of the box (AFAIK).

-- Fernando