Re: Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 08:42 +0000, Q wrote:
>
>> Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-225 laptop and am running Kubuntu 6.10.
>>
>> Anyway the thing is that my laptop has onboard sound which is an Intel
>> HD Audio Chip (which I believe is based on a Realtek design). The chip
>> for this card is called snd_hda_intel. However I also have an Audigy 2
>> ZS PCMCIA notebook card.  The driver for this card is called snd_emu10k1.
>>
>> Originally with both cards active my Intel HDA card was being loaded as
>> the default card. This was relatively easy to resolve (though not as
>> easy as it should be) by following these guides:
>>

> If you were using Gnome you could just use gnome-sound-properties to
> select the default sound card.  KDE must have something similar...
>
> Lee

It doesn't - and there is a certain degree of absurdity in the 21st
century that it doesn't - and that something so basic would be omitted.
(And I say this as a KDE user for the last 5+ years) There should be an
option in KControl (KDE control panel) that allows the user (just as one
can in Gnome ad also in Windows XP control panel) to define/change the
system wide default audio device, using a simple applet with a drop down
menu - rather that forcing a user to struggle with several essentially
very obscure configuration files.

In any case after much research both cards now work. However I have
another issue (with my onboard speakers not working correctly with the
Audigy card) which I will post separately.