Setting the Default Notebook Sound Card?

Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite A100-225 laptop and am running Kubuntu 6.10.

Anyway the thing is that my laptop has onboard sound which is an Intel
HD Audio Chip (which I believe is based on a Realtek design). The chip
for this card is called snd_hda_intel. However I also have an Audigy 2
ZS PCMCIA notebook card.  The driver for this card is called snd_emu10k1.

Originally with both cards active my Intel HDA card was being loaded as
the default card. This was relatively easy to resolve (though not as
easy as it should be) by following these guides:

[url]http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282175[/url]

[url]http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sound.htm[/url]

This essentially involved entering the following code:

options snd_emu10k1 index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

Into these files:

/etc/modutils/options

/etc/modprobe.d/sound

In order to cause my Audigy card to be loaded first. (Which is my
preference)

The first of these guides didn't work - however the second did - and my
Audigy card is now listed as the default card under Kmix in KDE.

However unfortunately the *majority* (and by majority I mean all of KDE,
all of my Media Players, the event notification system and pretty much
everything really, is still defaulting to trying to playback via the
onboard Intel HDA chip.

There are a couple of applications I can configure (like LastFM player)
and tell them to explicitly use my Audigy card - and if I can do this
the sound does play back normally and as expected.

However there are only a very few applications that will allow me to
select my audio device in this way - and in any case, it is far from
ideal as the ideal scenario would clearly to be able to use the Audigy
card as my default system wide audio playback device - rather than just
having a few applications use it, while the rest of the system uses the
Intel chip.

There are a couple of conditions that might be wort considering in my
attempts to get my set up to work.

Firstly I cannot simply turn the Intel chip off in my bios - as my
laptop will not allow this. (I guess it was never envisaged that I might
use a different sound card). Nor is this quite a solution as it does not
resolve the ordering and default device dilemma that I am facing now.
Secondly I cannot simply remove the module from /etc/modules so that it
does not get loaded when I reboot - since most hardware detection is now
done by HAL. Nor can I compile my kernel to remove the driver - as this
has the undesirable effect of meaning that I cannot use my Intel chip at
all. Nor would I want to do any of this - as there are several scenarios
- where for example I may wish to remove my Audigy PCMCIA card and
insert a TV card, or insert a PCMCIA SATA card (so that I can load an
alternative OS) and still have sound without having to hack through
various configuration files.

So predominantly all I want is to set my Audigy card as the default
system wide card that all my applications will default to and my Intel
chip as the fall back card that my system will revert to if the Audigy
card is removed.

Can anyone suggest how I might achieve this?

I originally presumed that the above methodology would have achieved
this, but this does not seem to have been the case. (And yes I did
reboot after making these changes).