Re: /modprobe.d/sound config for audiophile usb

Yes, this is correct minimal configuration for snd-usb-audio module
(which you do need to load to use USB sound devices)

> I'm running a 2.6.17.13 kernel on Slackware 11. I am trying to get a
> M-Audio Audiophile USB to work.  No luck yet.  I notice that
> "/etc/modprobe.conf" has been deprecated and apparently
> "/etc/modprobe.d/sound" is used instead. When I ran "alsaconf", my onboard
> cs42236 was recognized and configured.  "alsaconf" does not recognize usb
> cards so edited my "/etc/modprobe.d/sound" like so:
>
> # --- ALSA configuration
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> #--- OSS compatibility alias
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
> #--- ALSA configuration END
>
> Is this how one is supposed to set up two cards?

Dmitri Pogosyan            Department of Physics
Associate Professor        University of Alberta
tel 1-780-492-2150         11322 - 89 Avenue
fax 1-780-492-0714         Edmonton, AB, T6G 2G7, CANADA