Re: ATI SB450 hda_codec : invalid dep_range_val 0:7fff

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:04:55 -0700 (PDT)
Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:14:35 +0200
> > Kay Smarczewski <kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Why nobody helps me, hmm? That sucks really! I am sure solving this
> >> problem will just take seconds of your time if you are more expierenced
> >> than me. But I will probably never get it working. So I have to use MS
> >> Windows again because that just works.
> >>
> >> I know that you know that there is some trouble with some hardware. So,
> >> what is the problem? A mailing list should not just be for some experts
> >> which can write some freaky stuff. You just should not forget the normal
> >> user!!!

> > If your chip appears in the list of supported by ALSA chips and doesn't
> > work - file a bug.

> > The Intel HDA chips appear to be all the same except for routing of
> > audio streams.
> >
> > If it's the case, can ALSA developers publish a cheatsheet on how to get
> > the routing info from a running Windows driver ?
>
> HOw would they do that? Do you think that they have the windows driver
> source code they can look at and fugure out what is going on? If they did,
> development of drivers would be trivial. They also have no idea how to get
> the information. It would really really really help if the manufacturers
> gave infomation. But they do not.
>

> > I guess it in the end is reading data from a limited set of registers
> > whose addresses and format is already known to ALSA developers.
>
> And you know that how?
> Each incarnation can totally change the registers, their content and the
> meaning of their content.

Well, as far as I know the VLSI world (in which I work since late 1990)
VLSI designers are as constructively lazy as the ones in other fields.

In 2004 I myself dealt with a piece of external IP - there were enough
problems with it, so there was no incentive whatsoever to change
register addresses and such.

I also think that companies simply buy Intel IP - I mean, Intel HDA, so
why would a reasonably lazy designer start changing register map ? it's
additional effort bringing no gain.

That's why I think that the real degree of freedom is PCB layout, and that's
why I think that variations in PCB layout are compensated for by rerouting
signals inside the HDA chip.

I've had a quick look into

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa/ftp/datasheets/intel/30234902_ICH6.pdf
http://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/30701701.pdf

- the specs appear to be pretty certain regarding addresses and formats.

--Sergei.

--
Visit my http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/ open source project.