Re: ATI SB450 hda_codec : invalid dep_range_val 0:7fff

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:14:35 +0200
> Kay Smarczewski <kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:04:07AM +0200, Kay Smarczewski wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a real strange problem. I don't get my sound working.
>>>
>>> My system is a Acer Aspice 5102 WLMi with:
>>> Debian Etch
>>> 2.6.18 Kernel
>>> Alsa: 1.0.13
>>> lspci | grep -i audio returns:
>>> 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SB450 HDA Audio (rev 01)
>>> (Acer description: Realtek High Definition Audio)
>>>
>>> On boot I get many error messages of this:
>>> hdc_codec: Invalid dep_range_val 0:7fff
>>>
>>> and after that a few of this:
>>> hdc_codec: num_steps = 0 for NID=0xd
>>>
>>> And now the real strange thing:
>>> If I purge alsa-base, alsa-utils, linux-sound-base and lsof everything
>>> works fine after the first reboot. But only then: from the second boot
>>> it just don't works anymore.
>>>
>>> And even more strange:
>>> aplay can play wav files everytimes. On the first time i start it after
>>> booting there is following warning:
>>> hda-intel: invalid position buffer, using LPIB instead
>>>
>>> cat /proc/modules | cut -f1 -d " " | sort > modules.new;diff modules.new
>>> modules.old don't gives any changes between the loaded modules.
>>>

>>> I've tried the 2.6.19rc2 kernel already, tried to compile Alsa-Driver,
>>> Alsa-Lib and Alsa-Utils for myself but nothing works.
>>> I've read the doc for the ATI-IXP southbridge HD-audio and modem and
>>> some other manuals and followed the instructions but nothing solved my
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> There was even the suggestion for a bios-update. I've done it. Of course
>>> it was unneccessary...
>>>
>>> I have recognized that there is an error before the hda_codec-error:
>>> unknown model for alc833, azx_response... timeout and that it just
>>> looks for something in the bios.
>>>
>>> and then a timeout...
>>> and then the hda_codec errors...
>>>
>>> but i still have no ideas :(
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me, please?
>>
>> Why nobody helps me, hmm? That sucks really! I am sure solving this
>> problem will just take seconds of your time if you are more expierenced
>> than me. But I will probably never get it working. So I have to use MS
>> Windows again because that just works.
>>
>> I know that you know that there is some trouble with some hardware. So,
>> what is the problem? A mailing list should not just be for some experts
>> which can write some freaky stuff. You just should not forget the normal
>> user!!!

> If your chip appears in the list of supported by ALSA chips and doesn't
> work - file a bug.

> The Intel HDA chips appear to be all the same except for routing of
> audio streams.
>
> If it's the case, can ALSA developers publish a cheatsheet on how to get
> the routing info from a running Windows driver ?

HOw would they do that? Do you think that they have the windows driver
source code they can look at and fugure out what is going on? If they did,
development of drivers would be trivial. They also have no idea how to get
the information. It would really really really help if the manufacturers
gave infomation. But they do not.

> I guess it in the end is reading data from a limited set of registers
> whose addresses and format is already known to ALSA developers.

And you know that how?
Each incarnation can totally change the registers, their content and the
meaning of their content.