PCM volume doesn't change output level in a usefull range

Hello,

I recently switched to ALSA 1.0.9 (mandriva 2006). Previously I used OSS
with mandrake 9.0

I get this problem : PCM volume control doesn't change audio output
level in its full range.
I mean :
-> with my ancient setup, PCM volume control was able to change output
level from "no sound" (PCM volume = 0) to a maximum defined by "master
volume control"
-> with new alsa, PCM volume control only change output level in a
reduced range. (ie, with PCM volume = 0, there is still sound to the
speakers)

This is quite annoying because most of the applications modify only PCM
volume (xmms, xine, mplayer, ...). So each time the output is too noisy,
I must launch alsamixer in order to change MASTER volume, because PCM
volume control can't change output level in a usefull range.

I use ALSA 1.0.9 with a sound blaser live 5.1. I only use the 2 front
speaker. I have no special config file for alsa.

What can I do ?

Thanks for your help,
					Xavier