Rd: Re: Capturing audio with mencoder and alsa

This thread is about my attempts to get mencoder (part of the MPlayer suite) to record sound as well as video through my TV capture card.  It works in a linux build that uses only the old, deprecated OSS sound, but not with alsa.

Clemens Ladish replying to my previous post asked if arecord works.

Answer: Yes.  I hooked up the CD drives audio output to the CD input on the TV capture card, which just passes it thru, and used KDE's CD playing utility KsCD to play a CD, and arecord captured the sound stream (I noticed some distortion, probably takes a little tweaking, but at least it wasn't dead silence.)

Looking at a dump of amixer contents that I posted:
> numid=39,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select'
>   ; Item #0 'Input1'
>   ; Item #1 'Input2'
>   : values=0
> numid=40,iface=MIXER,name='Input Source Select',index=1
>   ; Item #0 'Input1'
>   ; Item #1 'Input2'
>   : values=0

He suggested I try all four combinations.  Using alsamixer I flipped the two "Input So" columns between 'Input1' and 'Input2' (I suppose this is what he meant), between the 4 possible combinations, in the output of amixer contents this was reflected in changes in lines 141 and 146 between "values=0" and "values=1".  None of it made any difference in mencoder though, no audio was captured.

I would suppose that there was bug in mencoder that it didn't properly interface to alsa's API, but if that were true I think it would be all over the internet.

It's very frustrating.  The only reason I keep that linux from scratch partition on my disk is to capture videos.  I've ordered the new Slackware, version 11.  (I'd bittorrent it except I don't like to keep my computer on all the time.)  When it arrives I'll see if it makes any difference.