Re: xfs_file_splice_read: possible circular locking dependency detected

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 04:16:48 +0100
Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Jens and Nick Cc'd]
>
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 07:06:29PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > I think you'd be better off with just a really small on-stack case
> > (like maybe 2-3 entries), and just allocate anything bigger
> > dynamically. Or you could even see how bad it is if you just
> > force-limit it to max 4 entries or something like that and just do
> > partial writes.
>
> Umm...  Right now it tries to allocate as much as the output pipe could
> possibly hold.  With default being 16 buffers, you'll end up with doing
> dynamic allocation in all cases (it doesn't even look at the amount of
> data we want to transfer).
>
> The situation with splice_pipe_desc looks very odd:
>
> 	* all but one instance are on stack frames of some ->splice_read()
> or something called by it (exception is in vmsplice)
>
> 	* all but one instance (a different one - see below) go through
> splice_grow_spd / splice_to_pipe / splice_shrink_spd sequence and
> nothing else sees them.  The exception is skb_splice_bits() and there we
> have MAX_SKB_FRAGS for size, don't bother with grow/shrink and the only
> thing done to that spd is splice_to_pipe() (from the callback passed to
> skb_splice_bits()).
>
> 	* only one ->splice_read() instance does _not_ create
> splice_pipe_descriptor.  It's fuse_dev_splice_read(), and it pays for that
> by open-coding splice_to_pipe().  The only reason for open-coding is that
> we don't have a "stronger SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK" that would fail if the data
> wouldn't fit.  SPLICE_F_NONBLOCK stuffs as much as possible and buggers off
> without waiting, fuse_dev_splice_read() wants all or nothing (and no waiting).
>
> 	* incidentally, we *can't* add new flags - splice(2)/tee(2)/vmsplice(2)
> quietly ignore all bits they do not recognize.  In fact, splice(2) ends up
> passing them (unsanitized) to ->splice_read and ->splice_write instances.
>
> 	* for splice(2) the IO size is limited by nominal capacity of output
> pipe.  Looks fairly arbitrary (the limit is the same whether the pipe is
> full or empty), but I wouldn't be surprised if userland programmers would
> get unhappy if they have to take more iterations through their loops.
>
> 	* the other caller of ->splice_read() is splice_direct_to_actor() and
> that can be called on a fairly deep stack.  However, there we loop ourselves
> and smaller chunk size is not a problem.
>
> 	* in case of skb_splice_bits(), we probably want a grow/shrink pair
> as well, with well below MAX_SKB_FRAGS for a default - what's the typical
> number of fragments per skb?
>
> > So feel free to try maxing out using only a small handful of
> > pipe_buffer entries. Returning partial IO from splice() is fine.
>
> 	Are you sure that nobody's growing the output pipe buffer before
> doing splice() into it as a way to reduce the amount of iterations?
>
> 	FWIW, I would love to replace these array of page * + array of
> <offset,len,private> triples with array of pipe_buffer; for one thing,
> [...]

Should not be so bad, but I don't have hard numbers for you. PAGEVEC_SIZE
is 14, and that's conceptually rather similar operation (walk radix tree;
grab pages). OTOH many archs are heavier and do locking and vmas walking etc.

Documentation/features/vm/pte_special/arch-support.txt

But even for those, at 16 entries, the bulk of the cost *should* be hitting
struct page cachelines and refcounting. The rest should mostly stay in cache.