Re: xfs_file_splice_read: possible circular locking dependency detected

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 11:12:33AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:56 AM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > ... and brings back a lot of other crap.  The thing is, pipe lock should
> > be on the outside of everything fs might be taking, so that splice IO
> > is the same as normal IO as far as filesystem locking is concerned.  For
> > the write side it had been done in that commit, for the read side it's yet
> > to be done.
>
> Al, look at generic_file_splice_read().
>
> The problem is that XFS takes its own
>
>         xfs_rw_ilock(ip, XFS_IOLOCK_SHARED);
>         ..
>         xfs_rw_iunlock(ip, XFS_IOLOCK_SHARED);
>
> around all the generic file accessors. So for example, it doesn't use
> "generic_file_read_iter()", it does
>
> STATIC ssize_t
> xfs_file_buffered_aio_read(
>         struct kiocb            *iocb,
>         struct iov_iter         *to)
> {
>         struct xfs_inode        *ip = XFS_I(file_inode(iocb->ki_filp));
>         ssize_t                 ret;
>
>         trace_xfs_file_buffered_read(ip, iov_iter_count(to), iocb->ki_pos);
>
>         xfs_rw_ilock(ip, XFS_IOLOCK_SHARED);
>         ret = generic_file_read_iter(iocb, to);
>         xfs_rw_iunlock(ip, XFS_IOLOCK_SHARED);
>
>         return ret;
> }
>
> and the exact same pattern holds for generic_file_splice_read().
>
> So the XFS model *requires* that XFS_IOLOCK to be outside all the operations.
>
> But then in iter_file_splice_write we have the other ordering.
>
> Now, xfs could do a wrapper for ->splice_write() like it used to, and
> have that same "take the xfs lock around the call to
> iter_file_splice_write(). That was my first obvious patch.
>
> I threw it out because that's garbage too: then we end up doing
> ->write_iter(), which takes the xfs_rw_ilock() again, and would
> immediately deadlock *there* instead.

That's what I first tried when this was first reported back in
3.18-rc0, and after a couple of other aborted attempts to work
around the pipe_lock I came to the same conclusion:

	"That smells like a splice architecture bug. splice write puts the
	pipe lock outside the inode locks, but splice read puts the pipes
	locks *inside* the inode locks. "

> So the problem really is that the vfs layer seems to simply not allow
> the filesystem to do any locking around the generic page cache helper
> functions. And XFS really wants to do that.

It's not an XFS specific problem: any filesystem that supports hole
punch and it's fallocate() friends needs this high level splice IO
exclusion as well.

Cheers,

Dave.
--