Re: partition 100% full No space left on device. looks like xfs iscorrupted or a bug

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Chinner" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Lista Unx" <lista.unx@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2016 2:35 AM
Subject: Re: partition 100% full No space left on device. looks like xfs iscorrupted or a bug

Ok, so you followed my advice on why you couldn't post to the list,

Yes, I've created a new gmail account especially to be able to post to this mailing list which is filtering very seriously legit messages comming from legit usres, just because they are comming from yahoo accounts (servers) ... but is allowing ANYONE else to post here WITHOUT having valid subscription and also WITHOUT any minimal intention to post here something which has or is related to XFS. Just in last days, I was informed about new microwave acquisition, plastic delivery, or any other craps arriving here from a "trusted and very legit" source, like gmail. That's sound like really a very good job!

but you ignored my answer as to the cause of the changing numbers of
inodes. I'll repeat it here for the benefit of everyone, so they
don't waste time chasing ghosts.

No, not at all, is not my style. Just mentioned twice to you, that we are not talking about number of inode usage. we are talking about max number of inodes which differ with at least 10 times less, for partitions with THE SAME SIZE AND USAGE!

That is, inodes are dynamically allocated so the number of supported
inodes is directly proportional to the amount of free space left in
the filesystem. You have filesystems with different amounts

NO! Booth systems are almost identical (minor differencies) and this has been stated very clear on my first post. That's not necessary to comment each line in my post, just to point us in the right direction.

That's probably because there are open but unlinked files present in
the filesystem, and du will not find them. e.g. large O_TMPFILE
files, or files that applications are using as scratch space. You
may even have zombie processes hanging about holding unlinked files
open.

Has been mentioned on my first post, reboot does not solve problem, there are no (large, small or any kind of files) exahusting inodes!

lsof might find those files, it might not. There might also be
orphan inodes on the unlinked lists, and without an unclean shutdown
log recovery won't process them.

Yes, also mentioned on my first post, lsof does not show anomalies ...

So it may simply be best to run
sync, then press the reset button to do a hard restart which
will trigger log recovery on restart.

The same, mentioned on my first post, reboot (which will clean zombies) does not resolve issue.

If the problem still persists,
then xfs_repair is really the only option to find out where the
space has gone and recover it.

Yes, that was also my conclusion BEFORE to post here. I did not have (yet) possibility to put / partition offline (or to not be mounted in order to run xfs_repair) and that's I asked here, considering that someone in the past encountered a simillar problem or in case not, there are few other things to be done, in order to consider that the last step to follow is to put server down for deep investigation.

I am still waiting approval to put server down for deep investigations (xfs_repaid & friends).

Have a nice day,
Alex