Re: Question: Old Irix tape backup. Recovery on Linux (xfsdump/xfsrestore)

Thanks for the suggestions again.

Still banging my head against a wall.

So  I was trying a bunch of xfsrestore commands anything from -m -k -b to all three but still the same result every time.

xfsrestore -K -m -b 4096 -f /dev/nst0 ./

xfsrestore  -K -r -f /dev/nst0 ./

I don't think this is a corrupt tape or anything because I have around 7 -10 tapes that are all made on the irix machine, but all behave the same. I have tried tar before but I get this is not a tar file or gzip file something like that.

But I do have an observation. I had a tape (not made on the irix system) and I was able to pull a direct transfer of files with the dd command. i.e dd if=/dev/nst0 of=./somefile1 ibs =64k

And I would only have to do this 3 -4 times to get like 30+ GBs of data off the tapes and a simple tar xvf command extracted these files just fine. But my question is how come when I try to do these with the tapes made on the Irix machine I only get about 200 mb at a time and there are like 190+ files on each tape. Is this normal for an xfs file system on a tape drive?