Re: Xfs lockdep warning with for-dave-for-4.6 branch

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 04:26:28PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 15-06-16 17:21:54, Dave Chinner wrote:
> [...]
> > Hopefully you can see the complexity of the issue - for an allocation
> > in the bmap btree code that could occur outside both inside and
> > outside of a transaction context, we've got to work out which of
> > those ~60 high level entry points would need to be annotated. And
> > then we have to ensure that in future we don't miss adding or
> > removing an annotation as we change the code deep inside the btree
> > implementation. It's the latter that is the long term maintainence
> > problem the hihg-level annotation approach introduces.
>
> Sure I can see the complexity here. I might still see this over
> simplified but I originally thought that the annotation would be used at
> the highest level which never gets called from the transaction or other
> NOFS context. So all the layers down would inherit that automatically. I
> guess that such a place can be identified from the lockdep report by a
> trained eye.

Which, as I said before, effectively becomes "turn off lockdep
reclaim context checking at all XFS entry points". Yes, we could do
that, but it's a "big hammer" solution and there are more entry
points than there are memory allocations that need annotations....

> > > Hmm, I thought we would achive this by using the scope GFP_NOFS usage
> > > which would mark those transaction related conctexts and no lockdep
> > > specific workarounds would be needed...
> >
> > There are allocations outside transaction context which need to be
> > GFP_NOFS - this is what KM_NOFS was originally intended for.
>
> Is it feasible to mark those by the scope NOFS api as well and drop
> the direct KM_NOFS usage? This should help to identify those that are
> lockdep only and use the annotation to prevent from the false positives.

I don't understand what you are suggesting here. This all started
because we use GFP_NOFS in a handful of places to shut up lockdep
and you didn't want us to use GFP_NOFS like that. Now it sounds to
me like you are advocating setting unconditional GFP_NOFS allocation
contexts for entire XFS code paths - whether it's necessary or
not - to avoid problems with lockdep false positives.

I'm clearly not understanding something here....

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner