Re: fallocate mode flag for "unshare blocks"?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 06:34:17PM -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 09:20:23AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:

> > > Well, the tape continued to be mounted in the background and/or the file
> > > restored from the tape into the filesystem...
> >
> > Right, and SGI have been shipping a DMAPI-aware Linux NFS server for
> > many years, using the above NFSERR_JUKEBOX behaviour for operations
> > that may block for a long time due to the need to pull stuff into
> > the filesytsem from the slow backing store. Best explanation is in
> > the relevant commit in the last published XFS+DMAPI branch from SGI,
> > for example:
> >
> > http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/xfs.git;a=commit;h=28b171cf2b64167826474efbb82ad9d471a05f75
>
> I haven't looked at the code, but I assume a JUKEBOX-returning write to
> an absent file brings into cache the bits necessary to perform the
> write, but stops short of actually doing the write.

Not exactly, as all subsequent read/write/truncate requests will
EJUKEBOX until the absent file has been brought back onto disk. Once
that is done, the next operation attempt will proceed.

> That allows
> handling the retried write quickly without doing the wrong thing in the
> case the retry never comes.

Essentially. But if a retry never comes it means there's either a
bug in the client NFS implementation or the client crashed, in which
case we don't really care.

> Implementing fallocate by returning JUKEBOX while still continuing the
> allocation in the background is a bit different.

Not really. like the HSM case we don't really care if a retry occurs
or not - the server simply needs to reply NFSERR_JUKEBOX for all
subsequent read/write/fallocate/truncate operations on that inode
until the fallocate completes...

i.e. it requires O_NONBLOCK style operation for filesystem IO
operations to really work correctly, and for the above patchset that
is added by the DMAPI layer through the hooks added into the IO
paths here:

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/xfs.git;a=commitdiff;h=87e98fb84c235a45fc5dea6fced8c6bd9e534234

i.e. recall status was tracked externally to the filesystem and
obeyed non-blocking flags on the filp. hence when the NFSD called
into the fs with O_NONBLOCK set, the dmapi hook would return EAGAIN
if there was a recall in progress on the range the IO was going to
be issued on...

> I guess it doesn't matter as much in practice, since the only way you're
> likely to notice that fallocate unexpectedly succeeded would be if it
> caused you to hit ENOSPC elsewhere.  Is that right?  Still, it seems a
> little weird.

s/succeeded/failed/ and that statement is right.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner