Re: fallocate mode flag for "unshare blocks"?

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 01:47:50PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2016, at 12:08 PM, J. Bruce Fields <bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Using fallocate() for preallocation was always intended to
> >> be a faster, more efficient method allocating zeroed space
> >> than having userspace write blocks of data. Faster, more efficient
> >> does not mean instantaneous, and gfs2 using sb_issue_zerout() means
> >> that if the hardware has zeroing offloads (deterministic trim, write
> >> same, etc) it will use them, and that will be much faster than
> >> writing zeros from userspace.
> >>
> >> IMO, what gfs2 is definitely within the intended usage of
> >> fallocate() for accelerating the preallocation of blocks.
> >>
> >> Yes, it may not be optimal for things like NFS servers which haven't
> >> considered that a fallocate based offload operation might take some
> >> time to execute, but that's not a problem with fallocate. i.e.
> >> that's a problem with the nfs server ALLOCATE implementation not
> >> being prepared to return NFSERR_JUKEBOX to prevent client side hangs
> >> and timeouts while the operation is run....
> >
> > That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's really legal.  I take
> > JUKEBOX to mean "sorry, I'm failing this operation for now, try again
> > later and it might succeed", not "OK, I'm working on it, try again and
> > you may find out I've done it".
> >
> > So if the client gets a JUKEBOX error but the server goes ahead and does
> > the operation anyway, that'd be unexpected.
>
> Well, the tape continued to be mounted in the background and/or the file
> restored from the tape into the filesystem...

Right, and SGI have been shipping a DMAPI-aware Linux NFS server for
many years, using the above NFSERR_JUKEBOX behaviour for operations
that may block for a long time due to the need to pull stuff into
the filesytsem from the slow backing store. Best explanation is in
the relevant commit in the last published XFS+DMAPI branch from SGI,
for example:

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=xfs/xfs.git;a=commit;h=28b171cf2b64167826474efbb82ad9d471a05f75

Cheers,

Dave.