Re: handling device or resource busy errors.

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 03:05:20AM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2015-12-10 01:25, Ed Peschko wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > we are 'getting device or resource busy' errors which we *know*
> > are spurious (lsof shows nothing, no multipath daemon, the
> > partition that we are trying to access was just created).
>
> I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes, when creating
> filesystems under a graphical desktop (like gnome or kde) automatic
> systems on those desktops would probe the new partition and try to
> find its type and mount it, without action on my part. Even in the
> middle of formatting!

Yup, mounts/probing triggered by udev and/or i/d/fanotify events are
a PITA to discover, especially when they are only active for a
short period (like blkid scanning). In general that is enoughtime
to make the command in the script after partitioning fail, but not
enough time to run any diagnostics that will capture the cause...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner