handling device or resource busy errors.

All,

we are 'getting device or resource busy' errors which we *know* are spurious (lsof shows nothing, no multipath daemon, the partition that we are trying to access was just created).

So the working theory is that the futex in question is spurious, that something didn't clean up after itself and we are stuck waiting for an non-existent process to fix it.

And the force option doesn't work for some reason. So a couple of questions.

    1. Why doesn't force work in this case? With parted and partx it does - in the case of mkfs.xfs it is a fatal error.
    2. could an 'extra force' option - one which ignored the futex - be added in cases of backwards compatibility?
    3. is there any way to list out what holds mutexes in the linux kernel so we could try to root out the ultimate cause of the issue? lsof is useless, as is dmesg and /var/log/messages.
    4. in the case of #2 how easy would it be? Where is the source code that centos' version of mkfs.xfs uses on the web? And which check would you remove?

Thanks for any assistance, this is driving me nuts.

greg