RE: XFS File system in trouble

	Some weeks ago, there were one or two that had a small number of errors while dealing with a hardware failure, long since fixed.  Since then every one of them is clean.  I've done at least 20, and every one is clean.  If it weren't, I would never have started this thread.  I would have looked for some underlying problem in the hardware, kernel, or software, just as I did when the other issues arose.  In any case, the answer is, "xfs_repair has reported nothing but a clean file system ever since I started digging deeper into this issue."

	Admittedly, it would be nice to be able to show the details of the xfs_repair instances that did have a very small number of corrections, but I can't provide a screen shot of screens that haven't existed for weeks.  I should be able to take the array down this weekend for further testing, including the FS dump.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Sandeen [mailto:sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2015 9:44 AM
To: Leslie Rhorer; Dave Chinner
Cc: Kris Rusocki; Rhorer, Leslie; xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XFS File system in trouble

On 7/24/15 8:47 AM, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
> On 7/22/2015 10:18 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>>> I do that every time the array implodes. It makes no difference. It
>>> never mentions cleaning the structure tar says needs cleaning, and
>>> the next time I run tar on that file, the filesystem craters.
>>>

>> What.
>> Did.
>> xfs_repair.
>> Say.
>
> Look.
> At.
> My.
> First.
> E-mail.

Your first email contains only a narrative about repair:

"Xfs_repair completes, usually with no errors found, or sometimes one or two errors."

But we don't know what those one or two errors are.

Your second email shows the output of one instance of a completely clean repair.

Then you found out that you had bad memory, and Dave asked you to run repair again, having fixed that hardware issue.

You said it "never mentions cleaning the structure tar says needs cleaning"

What I am asking you is for the full repair output now, so we can see what it
*did* say, rather than an interpreted narrative about what it did not say.

Stating "repair found no errors" would also be helpful.  Your reply above implies that maybe it did find errors, but not ones you felt were related.  I'd simply like to know the details, so we can continue to try to resolve your problem.

-Eric