Re: Q: xfs_db: invalid numrecs (*) in bmapbtd block

> On 6/28/15 1:44 PM, Timofey Titovets wrote:
>> Good time of day list,
>> i do regular check fragmentation on my servers and xfs_db show strange erros:
>
> No need, really.
>
> http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_The_xfs_db_.22frag.22_command_says_I.27m_over_50.25._Is_that_bad.3F

I just collects metrics for Zabbix monitoring.

>> # xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/sdc1
>> invalid numrecs (51914) in bmapbtd block
>> invalid numrecs (2827) in bmapbtd block

>> actual 504454, ideal 126776, fragmentation factor 74.87%
>

>> I already google error, and can't find any answer or explanation what
>> is it, how danger it or something like.
>> It's a production servers with several TB of data and this output make
>> me unhappy. =.=
>
> does xfs_repair find any errors?

i can't run xfs_repair on mounted fs as you know =)

>> And i can't do fast stop it, unmount and check file system.
>> (this is nfs server for virtual machines images)
>
> Oh.  So you're doing it with an online/mounted filesystem?

Yes, it must be not a problem.
(This error happen only on 2 from 9 servers, after many month of
stable working, others seems in good state)

> The on-disk filesystem isn't necessarily consistent when mounted,
> some of that consistency lives in the log.
>

> You're likely just seeing that inconsitency because you're reading
> it while it's mounted; possibly even while it's being modified.
>
> -Eric

I already thinked about this case, and it seems incredible.
1. i can get consistent or very close to consistent fs, by run 'sync'
2. Okay, supposing you are right,
then i must get different errors over time, because fs will change own
state over time (also after every sync call).
But its don't happen, i get same errors over long period of time (1
day+, i think on busy FS server, its enoug to think what data on disk
has changed)
Also, i have several others server, and on it i didn't see this
problem (over 2-3 month).

Then I can conclude this is errors in FS, only what matter to me now,
this type of errors can damage my data and i must move virtual
machines from it ASAP, or i can continue working and this is just
"artefact".

Fix me if i'm wrong.

--
Have a nice day,