Re: mkfs: a possible bad

----- Original Message -----

You write "logical is <= physical", but the text of the warning seems to be telling "it should be logical >= physical, but isn't."
I initially thought it should be reversed, but now I'm not sure. Maybe the warning could use better words to avoid this confusing?
In which case, I have to go back to bug hunting and see what is causing the warning to me...

> however, you are right that this does seem to be caught sooner:
>
> # modprobe scsi_debug sector_size=4096 dev_size_mb=1024 op_blks=0
> # mkfs.xfs -s size=512 /dev/sdd
> illegal sector size 512; hw sector is 4096
>
> If we're mkfs'ing a file, then platform_findsizes gives us either
> the sector size of the host filesystem (if it's an xfs filesystem),
> or 512 by default if that fails (other filesystems don't have that
> concept, or that ioctl interface).
>
> But the same thing applies; if we're mkfsing an image on a 4k sector
> xfs fs, images hosted there should (probably) have 4k sectors as well.
>
> So, I ... don't think I see a problem with the code as it stands.
>
> What does your "patch that changes how mkfs acts when it gets a file"
> do?
>
> -Eric

I'm resurrecting this patch set for cleaning mkfs: http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2013-11/msg00847.html
The link is directly to the patch which changes detection and handling for files. I did some changes in it, but as a reference, it still works well.

Cheers,
Jan

--
Jan Tulak