Re: What is a recommended XFS sector size for hybrid (512e) advanced format hard drives?

On 1/6/15 11:17 PM, Hillel Lubman wrote:

> I see. Indeed, on the drive where I get sectsz as 512 by default, blockdev --getss --getpbsz reports:
>
> 512
> 512

what kind of drive is this; is it usb, SATA, or ?

> However hdparm -I reports:
>
> Logical Sector size: 512 bytes
>
> Physical Sector size: 4096 bytes
>
> So is it still worthwhile making sectsz 4 KB explicitly instead of
> using mkfs.xfs default in such case? And on a side note, since there
> is a more reliable way to figure that info out, may be mkfs.xfs
> should rather use that?

a) probably can't hurt
b) probably doesn't matter ;)

c) not sure why there are 2 different answers.  Knowing what kind of drive
it is would be good; mkfs.xfs just uses whatever blkid says.

-Eric