Re: What is a recommended XFS sector size for hybrid (512e) advanced format hard drives?

On Tuesday, January 06, 2015 11:02:09 Eric Sandeen wrote:

> On 1/4/15 6:56 PM, Hillel Lubman wrote:

> > Hi.

> > Can you please clarify what after all is the recommended sector size

> > for such drives and why isn't it a default in mkfs.xfs (since

> > supposedly defaults are generally recommended optimal settings unless

> > you have some special use case).

> It is indeed the default.

> [root@sandeen ~]# blockdev --getss --getpbsz /dev/sde

> 512

> 4096

> however, some drives lie about these sizes, and then mkfs.xfs can't know.

> Try the blockdev command above to see.

I see. Indeed, on the drive where I get sectsz as 512 by default, blockdev --getss --getpbsz reports:

512

512

However hdparm -I reports:

Logical Sector size: 512 bytes

Physical Sector size: 4096 bytes

So is it still worthwhile making sectsz 4 KB explicitly instead of using mkfs.xfs default in such case? And on a side note, since there is a more reliable way to figure that info out, may be mkfs.xfs should rather use that?

Regards,

Hillel.