Re: What is a recommended XFS sector size for hybrid (512e) advanced format hard drives?

On Monday, January 05, 2015 21:21:25 Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> > I didn't test however how it compares to default settings on the

> > same drive which would set it to 512 B.

> As long as your underlying partition is 4KB aligned the only advantage

> you'll likely see with 4B sectsz is a little faster log IO. So for non

> metadata heavy workloads you won't see any difference between 512B and

> 4KB sectsz.

> Stan

It's actually created by gparted with 1 MB alignment, so it's implicitly 4 KB aligned as well. I guess something else is causing the slowness or it's just subjective. Raw I/O performance test looks normal with hdparm.

Here is what gdisk reports (third partition is the XFS one):

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Disk /dev/sda: 3907029168 sectors, 1.8 TiB

Logical sector size: 512 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): ...

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 3907029134

Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries

Total free space is 4205 sectors (2.1 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 2048 534527 260.0 MiB EF00

2 534528 1763327 600.0 MiB 0700

3 1763328 3904931839 1.8 TiB 0700

4 3904931840 3907026943 1023.0 MiB 8200