Re: Mount: Structure needs cleaning

Le Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:05:49 +0100
Tom Mason <tom_mason@xxxxxx> écrivait:

> > Which means the filesystem tried to read the offset at 62GB and the
> > underlying device failed it with EIO. That's not an XFS failure.
> > What error is there in dmesg when you run that xfs_repair command?
>
> What's EIO?
> 'Error in dmesg' How would I report this info to you?

"Input/Output Error" . Run the "dmesg" command immediately after
this error, and see what it reports last (end of command output).

> > This asks you to post the contents of /proc/partitions, which is
> > what the kernel thinks are the partition sizes.
>
> How do I do this?

cat /proc/partitions

> >> Yes it's a NAS drive and so I assume had some kind of proprietary
> >> OS on the other partitions (this is where i might have messed up
> >> by deleting?!) I'm pretty sure that the drive in bold below (sdc2)
> >> is the one I'm after which is xfs...
> >
> > Ummm, exactly what are you trying to do with this drive/filesystem?
> > What device did the drive come from in the first place?
>
> It's a lacie 'Neil poulton' network space1 1tb NAS drive (see first
> paragraph of post) - it recently stopped working and was stuck in a
> 'spin cycle' - it contains my music and video backups. I'm trying to
> recover the files...

Most probably disk is badly damaged, dead or dying. It's advisable to
try to create an image of the disk on another one, and work for this
image, because this disk will probably die any time now. It's no use
trying to repair a filesystem on a bad drive, which is the cause of the
errors from the beginning.

If all you care is to get your files back, just try to mount the volume
in read-only, non-recovery mode :

mount -o ro,norecovery /dev/sdc2 /tmp/mount

Then proceed by copying whatever you can get. Consider that any file
that gives an error is lost.

The other option is Kroll Ontrack or similar services, of course.