Re: Mount: Structure needs cleaning

[ please don't top post. ]

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 10:48:36PM +0000, tom mason wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 10:20:08 -0400
> > From: bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx
> > To: tom_in_canada@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > CC: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: Re: Mount: Structure needs cleaning
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 01:43:28AM -0700, tommason wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > First up - my knowledge of linux is pretty sparse - I've used it a few times
> > > before, so please be gentle!
> > >
> > > I've had a neil poulton network space for some time now - it freaked out a
> > > while ago and I managed to rig it up to a Ubuntu liveCD via a SATA dock and
> > > rescue the files.
> > >
> > > This has now happened again - the drive would not get out of a cycle and was
> > > not spinning properly. Bring out the dock and liveCD (this time Knoppix).
> > > All good. This time however as I eagerly copied files to another drive (a
> > > USB powered lacie rugged thing) and left it overnight i woke up to an error.
> > > I was copying around 500GB in a few diffferent chunks. The first error it
> > > reported was I think error 15? mount structure needs cleaning...
>

> > Logs? Kernel version? etc.
>
> Hey Brian,
> Apologies! I'm pretty new to all this so you'll have to walk me through it if possible - how do I check the logs?
>
> - Linux ubuntu 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> - xfs_repair version 3.1.9
>
> ok - so I worked out & tried the xfs_repair command:
>
> root@ubuntu:~# xfs_repair -n /dev/sdc2
> Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
> superblock read failed, offset 62448377856, size 131072, ag 2, rval -1
>
> fatal error -- Input/output error

Which means the filesystem tried to read the offset at 62GB and the
underlying device failed it with EIO. That's not an XFS failure.
What error is there in dmesg when you run that xfs_repair command?

> > http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F

This asks you to post the contents of /proc/partitions, which is
what the kernel thinks are the partition sizes.

> Yes it's a NAS drive and so I assume had some kind of proprietary
> OS on the other partitions (this is where i might have messed up
> by deleting?!) I'm pretty sure that the drive in bold below (sdc2)
> is the one I'm after which is xfs...

Ummm, exactly what are you trying to do with this drive/filesystem?
What device did the drive come from in the first place?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner