Re: use-after-free on log replay failure

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 03:39:02PM +0300, Alex Lyakas wrote:
> Then I set up the following Device Mapper target onto /dev/vde:
> dmsetup create VDE --table "0 41943040 linear-custom /dev/vde 0"
> I am attaching the code (and Makefile) of dm-linear-custom target.
> It is exact copy of dm-linear, except that it has a module
> parameter. With the parameter set to 0, this is an identity mapping
> onto /dev/vde. If the parameter is set to non-0, all WRITE bios are
> failed with ENOSPC. There is a workqueue to fail them in a different
> context (not sure if really needed, but that's what our "real"
> custom
> block device does).

FWIW, now I've looked at the dm module, this could easily be added
to the dm-flakey driver by adding a "queue_write_error" option
to it (i.e. similar to the current drop_writes and corrupt_bio_byte
options).

If we add the code there, then we could add a debug-only XFS sysfs
variable to trigger the log recovery sleep, and then use dm-flakey
to queue and error out writes. That gives us a reproducable xfstest
for this condition. Brian, does that sound like a reasonable plan to
you?

Thanks for describing the method you've been using to reproduce the
bug so clearly, Alex.

Cheers,

Dave.
--