documentation framework [was Re: relationship of nested stripe sizes, was: Question regarding XFS on LVM over hardware RAID.]

On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 08:54:11AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 03:36:01AM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> > > Agreed - reference style is probably best. As for format style, I'm
> > > tending towards a simple, text editor friendly markup like asciidoc.
> > > From there we can use it to generate PDFs, wiki documentation, etc
> > > and so make it available in whatever format is convenient.
> >
> > Works for me, I'm a plain text kinda guy.
>
> Ok, I'll put together a basic repository and build framework for us
> to work from.

Stan, run:

$ git clone git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs-documentation

to get a tree that contains the framework for building asciidoc
files into html and pdf format. Note that you can't find it from
gitweb of oss.sgi.com yet because I don't have permissions to add it
to the project list, but you can browse it directly from:

http://oss.sgi.com/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi/xfs/xfs-documentation

I've attached the pdf output of the document I quickly converted
from text to asciidoc format so you can get an idea of how easy it
is to convert plain txt to asciidoc, and how good the output from
just using defaults and simple markup is.

A good cheat sheet for asciidoc markup can be found here:

http://powerman.name/doc/asciidoc

Time to start learning how to use guilt and sending patches. ;)

FWIW, where do we want to locate your new document? It is end
user/admin documentation, so perhaps a new user/ subdirectory to
indicate the target of the documentation?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner