Re: relationship of nested stripe sizes, was: Question regarding XFS on LVM over hardware RAID.

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 11:09:11AM -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2014, at 2:44 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On 2/1/2014 2:55 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >> On Feb 1, 2014, at 11:47 AM, Stan Hoeppner
> >> <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When nesting stripes, the chunk size of the outer stripe is
> > -always- equal to the stripe width of each inner striped array,
> > as I clearly demonstrated earlier:
>
> Except when it's hardware raid6, and software raid0, and the user
> doesn't know they need to specify the chunk size in this manner.
> And instead they use the mdadm default. What you're saying makes
> complete sense, but I don't think this is widespread knowledge or
> well documented anywhere that regular end users would know this by
> and large.

And that is why this is a perfect example of what I'd like to see
people writing documentation for.

This is not the first time we've had this nested RAID discussion,
nor will it be the last. However, being able to point ot a web page
or or documentation makes it a whole lot easier.....

Stan - any chance you might be able to spare an hour a week to write
something about optimal RAID storage configuration for XFS?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner