Sent: 19 December, 2013 1:06 AM
To: Alex Lyakas
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Questions about XFS discard and xfs_free_extent() code (newbie)

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 08:37:29PM +0200, Alex Lyakas wrote:
Greetings XFS developers & community,

I am studying the XFS code, primarily focusing now at the free-space
allocation and deallocation parts.

I learned that freeing an extent happens like this:
- xfs_free_extent() calls xfs_free_ag_extent(), which attempts to merge the freed extents from left and from right in the by-bno btree. Then the by-size
btree is updated accordingly.
- xfs_free_extent marks the original (un-merged) extent as "busy" by
xfs_extent_busy_insert(). This prevents this original extent from being
allocated. (Except that for metadata allocations such extent or part of it
can be "unbusied", while it is still not marked for discard with
XFS_EXTENT_BUSY_DISCARDED).
- Once the appropriate part of the log is committed, xlog_cil_committed
calls xfs_discard_extents. This discards the extents using the synchronous
blkdev_issue_discard() API, and only them "unbusies" the extents. This makes
sense, because we cannot allow allocating these extents until discarding
completed.

WRT to this flow, I have some questions:

- xfs_free_extent first inserts the extent into the free-space btrees, and
only then marks it as busy. How come there is no race window here?

Because the AGF is locked exclusively at this point, meaning only
one process can be modifying the free space tree at this point in
time.

Can
somebody allocate the freed extent before it is marked as busy? Or the
free-space btrees somehow are locked at this point? The code says "validate
the extent size is legal now we have the agf locked". I more or less see
that xfs_alloc_fix_freelist() locks *something*, but I don't see
xfs_free_extent() unlocking anything.

The AGF remains locked until the transaction is committed. The
transaction commit code unlocks items modified in the transaction
via the ->iop_unlock log item callback....

- If xfs_extent_busy_insert() fails to alloc a xfs_extent_busy structure,
such extent cannot be discarded, correct?

Correct.

- xfs_discard_extents() doesn't check the discard granularity of the
underlying block device, like xfs_ioc_trim() does. So it may send a small
discard request, which cannot be handled.

Discard is a "advisory" operation - it is never guaranteed to do
anything.

If it would have checked the
granularity, it could have avoided sending small requests. But the thing is
that the busy extent might have been merged in the free-space btree into a
larger extent, which is now suitable for discard.

Sure, but the busy extent tree tracks extents across multiple
transaction contexts, and we cannot merge extents that are in
different contexts.

I want to attempt the following logic in xfs_discard_extents():
# search the "by-bno" free-space btree for a larger extent that fully
encapsulates the busy extent (which we want to discard)
# if found, check whether some other part of the larger extent is still busy
(except for the current busy extent we want to discard)
# if no, send discard for the larger extent
Does this make send? And I think that we need to hold the larger
extent locked somehow until the
discard completes, to prevent allocation from the discarded range.

You can't search the freespace btrees in log IO completion context -
that will cause deadlocks because we can be holding the locks
searching the freespace trees when we issue a log force and block
waiting for log IO completion to occur. e.g. in
xfs_extent_busy_reuse()....

Also, walking the free space btrees can be an IO bound operation,
overhead/latency we absolutely do not want to add to log IO completion.

Further, walking the free space btrees can be a memory intensive
operation (buffers are demand paged from disk) and log IO completion
may be necessary for memory reclaim to make progress in low memory
situations. So adding unbound memory demand to log IO completion
will cause low memory deadlocks, too.

IOWs, adding freespace tree processing to xfs_discard_extents() just
won't work.

What we really need is a smarter block layer implementation of the
discard operation - it needs to be asynchronous, and it needs to
support merging of adjacent discard requests. Now that SATA 3.1
devices are appearing on the market, queued trim operations are now
possible. Dispatching discard oeprations as synchronous operations
prevents us from taking advantage of these operations. Further,
because it's synchronous, the block layer can't merge adjacent
discards, not batch multiple discard ranges up into a single TRIM
command.

IOWs, what we really need is for the block layer discard code to be
brought up to the capabilities of the hardware on the market first.
Then we will be in a position to be able to optimise the XFS code to
use async dispatch and new IO completion handlers to finish the log
IO completion processing, and at that point we shouldn't need to
care anymore. Note that XFS already dispatches discards in ascending
block order, so if we issue adjacent discards the block layer will
be able to merge them appropriately. Hence we don't need to add that
complexity to XFS....

Cheers,

Dave.
--