Re: [Bisected] Corruption of root fs during git bisect of drm system hang

On 7/19/13 11:32 AM, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> On 2013.07.19 at 11:02 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:

>> Are you certain about that bisection point?  All that does is
>> say:  When we allocate a new inode, assign it a random generation
>> number, rather than reading it from disk & incrementing the
>> older generation number, AFAICS.  So it simply avoids a read IO.
>
> Yes, I'm sure.
> As I wrote above I also double-checked by reverting the commit on top of
> the current Linus tree.
>
>> I wonder if simply changing IO patterns on the SSD changes how
>> it's doing caching & destaging <handwave>.
>
> No. The corruption also happens on my conventional (spinning) drives.

>>> Well, it is natural that fs developers at first try to blame userspace.
>>
>> I disagree with that, we just need to be clear about your scenarios,
>> and what integrity guarantees should apply.
>>
>>> Unfortunately it turned out that in this case there is filesystem
>>> corruption. (Fortunately this normally happens only very rarely on rc1
>>> kernels).
>>
>> Corruption is when you get back data that you did not write,
>> or metadata which is inconsistent or unreadable even after a proper
>> log replay.
>>
>> Corruption is _not_ unsynced, buffered data that was lost on a
>> crash or poweroff.
>>
>> But I might not have followed the thread properly, and I might
>> misunderstand your situation.
>>
>> When you experience this lost file [data] scenario, was it after an
>> orderly reboot, or after a crash and/or system reset?
>
> To reproduce this issue simply boot into your desktop and then hit
> sysrq-c and reboot.

Ok, a crash, so at a minimum, some buffered data loss is 100% expected.

> After log replay without error messages, the
> filesystem is in an inconsistent state

What exactly do you mean by inconsistent state?  Sorry to be pedantic here.

> and many small config files are
> lost.

Written how long ago?  Were they fsynced?
I suppose you are unsure about that, if they're app-written.

> There are also undeletable files.

What happens when you try to delete them?

> You need to run xfs_repair
> manually to bring the filesystem back to normal.

And what is the repair output?

Can you show an exact sequence of events, capturing all relevant output from repair and/or dmesg, etc, just so we see exactly what you see?

Thanks,
-Eric