Re: WANTED: xfstests results in different architectures

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 05:59:59PM -0500, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Couple of weeks backs we had a discussion in xfs meeting to collect
> xfstests results. I volunteered to collect xfstests results from
> different architectures and upload to XFS.org.
>
> I can run and get the results for x86_64 and ppc64. If anyone has other
> architectures that they can run the tests on and provide me the results,
> I will filter them an upload to XFS.org.

How are you going to filter and display them on xfs.org? Should the
scripts to do this be part of xfstests?

FWIW, without a database of results that users can use to filter the
test results themselves, it will become unmanageable very quickly...

BTW, from my notes from the 2012 LSFMM XFs get-together, there are
these line items related to exactly this:

----
       - Public repository of test results so we can better track failures
                - Look into resurrecting old ASG xfstests results
                  repository and web iquery interface (Ben)
                - host on oss.sgi.com.
                - script to run xfstests and produce publishable output (Ben)
----

Ben, did you ever start to look into this?

> Here is what I think would be of value to provide along with the results
> (others, please feel free to add more to the list for the results to be
> more useful)
>     - Architecture of the system

	- base distro (e.g. /etc/release).

>     - Configuration - memory size and number of procs

I think that all the info that we ask people to report in bug
reports would be a good start....

>     - Filesystem sizes

More useful is the MKFS_OPTIONS and MOUNT_OPTIONS used to run the
tests, as that tells us how much non-default test coverage we are
getting. i.e. default testing or something different.

>     - Commit ID of the kernel

Not useful for kernels built with local, non-public changes, which
is generally 100% of the kernels and userspace packages I test
with.

>     - which git tree (XFS git tree or Linus's)
>     - xfsprogs version (or commit ID if from the git tree)

Same as for the kernel - base version is probably all that is useful
here.

You'd probably also want to capture the console output indicating
test runtimes and why certain tests weren't run.

If you create a pristine $RESULTS_DIR and output all the information
you want to gather into it, then it will be trivial for users to
send information onwards. Providing a command line parameter that
generates a unique results directory and then packages the results
up into a tarball would be a great start. We'd then have a single
file that can be sent up a central point with all the test results
available. We could even do all the filtering/processing before
upload.

IOWs, the idea behind $RESULTS_DIR is to make this sort of scripted
test result gathering simple to do....

Cheers,

Dave.
--