Re: xfs module insert fails with "xfs: Unknown symbol exportfs_decode_fh (err 0)"

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 01:16:24PM -0500, Ben Myers wrote:
> Hey Chandra,
>
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:24:09PM -0500, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
> > When I tried to insert xfs module in my test machine it failed with
> >
> > 	xfs: Unknown symbol exportfs_decode_fh (err 0).
> >
> > Found out that I did not have CONFIG_EXPORTFS enabled in my kernel
> > config.
>
> Most people are running with NFS enabled in their kernel config, I think.
>
> > All .*by_handle code in XFS is open coded. Wondering if they should be
> > under #ifdef CONFIG_EXPORTFS ?
> >
> > I can create a patch, but wanted to find out if it is indeed needed :)
>
> foo_by_handle
>   xfs_handlereq_to_dentry
>     xfs_handle_to_dentry
>       exportfs_decode_fh
>
> xfsdump does open by handle, so making that conditional on CONFIG_EXPORTFS will
> break things.  I think would be better to just make CONFIG_XFS depend upon
> CONFIG_EXPORTFS in fs/xfs/Kconfig.  Looks like we'll have the same problem with
> libcrc32c.

AFAIK, "select" isthe right keyword for these dependencies. They are
like saying "depends on", but instead of having the XFS config options
only appear in the menus if CONFIG_EXPORTFS is selected, it will
select CONFIG_EXPORTFS=y when CONFIG_XFS_FS=y....

So I don't think there are any problems here...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner