Re: XFS write cache flush policy

On 14.12.2012 13:57, Ric Wheeler wrote:

> >>I think that's partly why Dave asked you to test it, to check
> >>that theory ;)
> >To test that theory.
> >
> >Technically this is an other machine than the original but i tried to
> >recreate as much from the original cirumstances as possible.
> >Kernel is 3.6.7
> >
> >First i recreated the circumstances.
> >I plugged a HDD i'm throwing out into the enclosure that was the most
> >problematic, created the dm-crypt-layer & filesystem as reported and
> >started copying.
> >
> >In all testes i didn't supply any mount-options!
> >
> >1)
> >After a few minutes i "emulated" the problem by unplugging the cable.
> >At that point about 40 files were copied, but only 25 where there after
> >i replugged the cable.
>
> Just a note - depending on the drive and its firmware, unplugging a
> cable is *not* the same as a power loss since the firmware detects
> the loss of link and immediately writes back any volatile cache data
> to platter (and it has power, so that is easy for it to do :)).
>
> You really should drop power to the enclosure to get a "mean" test :)

The Power loss case is irrelevant for me.

I know what i can expect for a power-loss, all my drives have
'write-cache on' and (up to) 64MB of cache. As a disabled write cache
isn't an option (performance sucks) the ensuing data-loss would be
expected and there are procedures in place to prevent any permanent
data-losses (Except for the right 2 discs dying at the same time).

--

Matthias