Re: XFS write cache flush policy

On 10.12.2012 11:58, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2012 at 08:29:27PM +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > On 06.12.2012 09:51, Lin Li wrote:
> > > Hi, Guys. I recently suffered a huge data loss on power cut on an XFS
> > > partition. The problem was that I copied a lot of files (roughly 20Gb) to
> > > an XFS partition, then 10 hours later, I got an unexpected power cut. As a
> > > result, all these newly copied files disappeared as if they had never been
> > > copied. I tried to check and repair the partition, but xfs_check reports no
> > > error at all. So I guess the problem is that the meta data for these files
> > > were all kept in the cache (64Mb) and were never committed to the hard
> > > disk.
> > >
> > > What is the cache flush policy for XFS? Does it always reserve some fixed
> > > space in cache for metadata? I asked because I thought since I copied such
> > > a huge amount of data, at least some of these files must be fully committed
> > > to the hard disk, then cache is only 64Mb anyway. But the reality is all of
> > > them were lost. the only possibility I can think is some part of the cache
> > > was reserved for meta data, so even the cache is fully filled, this part
> > > will not be written to the disk. Am I right?
> >
> > I have the same problem, several times.
> >
> > The latest just an hour ago.
> > I'm copying a HDD onto another. Plain rsync -a /src/ /tgt/ Both HDDs are
> > 3TB SATA-drives in a USB3-enclosure with a dm-crypt layer in between.
> > About 45 minutes into copying the target HDD disconnects for a moment.
> > 45minutes means someting over 200GB were copied, each file is about
> > 900MB.
> > After remounting the filesystems there were exactly 0 files.
>
> This sounds like an entirely different problem to what the OP
> reported.

For me it sounds only like different timing.
Otherwise i don't see much difference in files vanished after a few
hours(of inactiviry) and a few minutes (while still beeing active).

> Did the filesystem have an error returned?

No.

> i.e. did it shut down (what's in dmesg)?

There's not much XFS could have done after the block-device vanished.
A dis-/r-eappierung block-device gets a new name because the old name is
still "in use", the block-devic gets cleaned up after 'umount'ing and
closing the dm-crypt device.

When the USB3-HDD disconnected it reappered a moment later under a new
name, it bounced between sdc <-> sdf.

In syslog it's a plain "USB disconnect, device number XX" message.
Followed by a standard new device found message-bombardment. In between
there are some error-messages, but as it's pratically a yanked out and
replugged cable, a little complaing by the kernel is to be expected.

> Did you run repair in between the shutdown and remount?

No.

XFS (dm-3): Mounting Filesystem
XFS (dm-3): Starting recovery (logdev: internal)
XFS (dm-3): Ending recovery (logdev: internal)

> How many files in that 200GB of data?

At 0.9GB/file at least 220.

> http://xfs.org/index.php/XFS_FAQ#Q:_What_information_should_I_include_when_reporting_a_problem.3F
>
> Basically, you have an IO error situation, and you have dm-crypt
> in-between buffering an unknown about of changes. In my experience,
> data loss eventsi are rarely filesystem problems when USB drives or
> dm-crypt is involved...

I don't know the inner workings auf dm-*, but shouldn't it behave
transparent and rely on the block-layer for buffering.

> > After that i started a "while true; do sync ; done"-loop in the
> > background.
> > And just while i was writing this email the HDD disconnected a second
> > time. But this time the files up until the last 'sync' were retained.
>
> Exactly as I'd expect.
>
> > And something like this has happend to me at least a half dozen times in
> > the last few month. I think the first time was with kernel 3.5.X, when i
> > was actually booting into 3.6 with a plain "reboot" (filesystem might
> > not have been umounted cleanly.), after the reboot the changes of about
> > the last half hour were gone. e.g. i had renamed a directory about 15
> > minutes before i rebooted and after the reboot the directory had it's
> > old name back.
> >
> > Kernel in all but (maybe)one case is between 3.6 and 3.6.2 (currently),
> > the first time MIGHT have been something around 3.5.8 but i'm not sure.
> > HDDs were either connected by plain SATA(AHCI) or by USB3 enclosure. All
> > affected filesystems were/are with a dm-crypt layer inbetween.
>
> Given that dm-crypt is the common factor here, I'd start by ruling
> that out. i.e. reproduce the problem without dm-crypt being used.

That's a slight problem for me, pratically everything i have is
encrypted.

Now that i think about it, maybe dm-crypt really is to blame, up until a
few month ago i was using loop-AES. After dm-crypt got the capability to
emulate it i have moved over to dm-crypt because the loop-AES support in
Debian got worse over time. I didn't have any problems until after i
moved to dm-crypt, but OTOH i'm not the only one using dm-crypt. But
OTOOH maybe not so many people use the loop-AES compatibility-mode.

--

Matthias