Re: XFS write cache flush policy

Am Samstag, 8. Dezember 2012, 20:40:07 schrieb Michael Monnerie:
> I'd like to chime in here, with a similar issue: I have Linux on my
> desktop, xfs is the home partition, 16G RAM. One day my system froze,
> no  chance to do a buffer flush via SYS-S/U/B, I had to press the
> reset button (no power off, just reset). Upon restart, lots of files
> were gone, destroyed, etc, and my KDE desktop wouldn't work anymore.

Similar problem yesterday: this time I could stop KDE, and get a root
session. Killed all processes by hand, because one xfs partition was
still open despite "lsof" not showing anything. At last there were only
a handful processes open, I killed "rsyncd", and suddenly disk I/O was
100%, looks like it was writing a lot of buffers, the disk was about 15s
in full activity. I've seen this strange behaviour before (lot and long
disk activity on reboot), but only now I could trace it down to rsyncd.

I have rsyncd running here as a target, my server is backuped here once
per night. So it's strange to see it having "something" open. I've moved
the backup target dir to another partition now, to see if I can see that
behaviour again.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc