Re: 1B files, slow file creation, only AG0 used

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 02:54:20PM -0700, Michael Spiegle wrote:
> I believe we figured out what was going wrong:
> 1) You definitely need inode64 as a mount option
> 2) It seems that the AG metadata was being cached.  We had to unmount
> the system and remount it to get updated counts on per-AG usage.

If you were looking at it with xfs_db, then yes, that is what will
happen. Use "echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" to get the cached
metadata dropped.

> For the moment, I've written a script to copy/rename/delete our files
> so that they are gradually migrated to new AGs.  FWIW, I noticed that
> this operation is significantly faster on an EL6.2-based kernel
> (2.6.32) compared to EL5 (2.6.18).  I'm also using the 'delaylog'
> mount option which probably helps a bit.  I still have a few other
> curiosities about this particular issue though:
>
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Entirely normal. some operations require Io to complete (e.g.
> > reading directory blocks to find where to insert the new entry),
> > while adding the first file to a directory generally requires zero
> > IO. You're seeing the difference between cold cache and hot cache
> > performance.
> >

> In this situation, any files written to the same directory exhibited
> this issue regardless of cache state.  For example:
>
> Takes 300ms to complete:
> touch tmp/0
>
> Takes 600ms to complete:
> touch tmp/0 tmp/1
>
> Takes 1200ms to complete:
> touch tmp/0 tmp/1 tmp/2 tmp/3
>
> I would expect the directory to be cached after the first file is
> created.  I don't understand why all subsequent writes were affected
> as well.

I don't have enough information to help you. I don't know what
hardware you are running on, how big the directory is, what they
layout of the directory is, etc. The "needs to do IO" was simply a
SWAG....

Cheers,

Dave.
--