Re: Performance problem - reads slower than writes

On Sat, Feb 04, 2012 at 11:16:49PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> When you lose a disk in this setup, how do you rebuild the replacement
> drive?  Do you simply format it and then move 3TB of data across GbE
> from other Gluster nodes?

Basically, yes. When you read a file, it causes the mirror to synchronise
that particular file. To force the whole brick to come back into sync you
run find+stat across the whole filesystem.
http://download.gluster.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.2/Documentation/AG/html/sect-Administration_Guide-Managing_Volumes-Self_heal.html

> Even if the disk is only 1/3rd full, such a
> restore seems like an expensive and time consuming operation.  I'm
> thinking RAID has a significant advantage here.

Well, if you lose a 3TB disk in a RAID-1 type setup, then the whole disk has
to be copied block by block (whether it contains data or not). So the
consideration here is network bandwidth.

I am building with 10GE, but even 1G would be just about sufficient to carry
the peak bandwidth of a single one of these disks.  (dd on the raw disk
gives 120MB/s at the start and 60MB/s at the end)

The whole manageability aspect certainly needs to be considered very
seriously though.  With RAID1 or RAID10, dealing with a failed disk is
pretty much pull and plug; with Gluster we'd be looking at having to mkfs
the new filesystem, mount it at the right place, and then run the self-heal.
This will have to be weighed against the availability advantages of being
able to take an entire storage node out of service.

Regards,

Brian.