Re: Introduce SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE to XFS V5

On 01/12/2012 11:01 PM, Mark Tinguely wrote:

> On 01/12/12 07:52, Jeff Liu wrote:
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>> On 01/12/2012 05:12 AM, Mark Tinguely wrote:
>>
>>> xfs_has_unwritten_buffer() always returns the offset of the first
>>> dirty unwritten page. This can cause xfs_seek_data() and xfs_seek_hole()
>>> to give the wrong results in certain circumstances.
>>
>> Sorry, am was well understood your opinions in this point for now.
>> IMHO, we can only find and return the data buffer offset at a dirty or
>> unwritten page once the first page was probed.
>>

> From my tests, xfs_bmapi_read() can only find holes if they cross or
> start on a 64KB boundary. It would be nice if unwritten extents were at
> least that good at finding holes.
>

> In xfs_has_unwritten_buffer(), could you start searching from the seek
> offset? The variable *offset could pass in that seek address and us that
> offset as the starting "index" rather than the beginning of the extent?

> You start:
>
>        index = XFS_FSB_TO_B(mp, map->br_startoff) >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT;
>
> Could we do?:
>
>     index = XFS_FSB_TO_B(mp, *offset) >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT;
>
> And before calling xfs_has_unwritten_buffer():
>     offset = seekoff;

Good catch!
Looks we need to examine the max value between seekoff and
map->br_startoff, before passing it to xfs_has_unwritten_buffer().

For SEEK_DATA, if the seekoff is less than map->br_startoff, IMHO, we
need to pass the map->br_startoff to it.

> Also, my idea to find the next data/hole requires that
> xfs_has_unwritten_buffer() finds the smallest PAGECACHE_TAG_DIRTY or
> PAGECACHE_TAG_WRITEBACK page if any starting at the seek offset.

By combining with all your comments below, now I feel a bits clear about
your opinions. :)
I think it is definitely needed if we continue to use the current idea,
i.e, probing the unwritten extent twice(DIRTY, WRITEBACK).

Thanks,
-Jeff