Re: Introduce SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE to XFS V5

On 01/12/12 07:52, Jeff Liu wrote:
Hi Mark,

On 01/12/2012 05:12 AM, Mark Tinguely wrote:

xfs_has_unwritten_buffer() always returns the offset of the first
dirty unwritten page. This can cause xfs_seek_data() and xfs_seek_hole()
to give the wrong results in certain circumstances.

Sorry, am was well understood your opinions in this point for now.
IMHO, we can only find and return the data buffer offset at a dirty or
unwritten page once the first page was probed.

From my tests, xfs_bmapi_read() can only find holes if they cross or start on a 64KB boundary. It would be nice if unwritten extents were at least that good at finding holes.

In xfs_has_unwritten_buffer(), could you start searching from the seek offset? The variable *offset could pass in that seek address and us that offset as the starting "index" rather than the beginning of the extent?

You start:

       index = XFS_FSB_TO_B(mp, map->br_startoff) >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT;

Could we do?:

	index = XFS_FSB_TO_B(mp, *offset) >> PAGE_CACHE_SHIFT;

And before calling xfs_has_unwritten_buffer():
	offset = seekoff;

Also, my idea to find the next data/hole requires that xfs_has_unwritten_buffer() finds the smallest PAGECACHE_TAG_DIRTY or PAGECACHE_TAG_WRITEBACK page if any starting at the seek offset.

In xfs_seek_data(), every page past first dirty/unwritten page in the
unwritten extent will be reported as data.

Hmm, consider the user level utility that make use of SEEK_XXX stuff to
copy data from an offset in source file:

Generally, it will call xfs_seek_data() firstly,
if we read an unwritten extent and there is data buffer was probed in
xfs_seek_data(), it only means we can read file data starting from the
returned offset of xfs_has_unwritten_buffer().

Then it will call xfs_seek_hole() to calculate this extent length.
next, a couple of read()/write() will be called in a loop depending on
the extent length.

[  page 1  ] | [  page 2  ] | [  page 3  ] | .... [  page N  ]
                  |data offset at page 2|

If we got the data offset from page2, and there is no data at page 3,
the user utility call read(2) will returns ZERO, and it will break
immediately.

Something like:
	loop
		s = lseek(fd, off, SEEK_DATA);
		if (s == -1)
			if we errno == ENXIO
				return done /* eof */
			else
				return errno

		e = lseek(fd, s, SEEK_HOLE);
		if (e == -1)
			return errno

		dest = copy from s to e
		off = e
	end loop (if not eof or other condition)

You will seek for next hole at the found data position. Even if xfs_has_unwritten_buffer() does the right thing and returns the dirty/unwritten page starting from seekoff, we need go a page past the current page (which has data) to look for the next hole.

Something like (again psuedo-code)
	loop
		offset1 = offset2 = seekoff
		xfs_has_unwritten_buffer(seekoff, &offset1, DIRTY)
		xfs_has_unwritten_buffer(seekoff, &offset2, WRITEBACK)
		d = min(offset1, offset2)

		if (d > seekoff OR d == NULL)
			return found a hole at seekoff

		if (d == seekoff) /* standard case assuming how we
				   * use SEEK_DATA/SEEK_HOLE
				   * This is the step your code
				   * does not perform. It jumps
				   * to the next extent
				   */
			seekoff += page size of dirty/writeback **
	end while the seekoff < extent size

** here we could jump to the next 64KB boundary and be as accurate as xfs_bmapi_read().

Good job. This is an important feature.

--Mark Tinguely.