Re: xfs_growfs doesn't resize (partial resolution)

Hello again everyone,

I was able to perform the steps I proposed last week:

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:28:51AM -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
> --take another backup
> --umount all XFS filesystems (the OS filesystems are ext3)
> --remove the kmod-xfs CentOS package
> --update to the latest CentOS kernel and reboot, making sure
>   the target XFS fs does not have a mount attempted
> --run xfs_repair from xfsprogs-3.1.5
> --cross fingers :)
> --mount and check what's in lost+found

For posterity sake, I thought I should post my results.  Everything went
very smoothly, actually--even though the repair of the metadump I took
reported errors, when I worked with the actual filesystem, it fixed
superblock 0 but otherwise found no errors.  The xfs_repair took about
42 minutes, compared to about 35-40 minutes to operate (on similar but
different hardware) on the metadump.  That's really nice performance--I
had to e2fsck a ~5TB filesystem the other day, and it took about 5 hours
total.

> --if all seems well, attempt another xfs_growfs using xfsprogs-3.1.5

I haven't yet attempted this final step.  I am going to wait till I
return from another vacation to do so.  :)  But I am hopeful that with
the latest kernel available from the CentOS repos that I should be fine.
Is there a way to directly query the running module for version
information, so that I can try to verify that I have a version that will
work?  Here's my uname, if it's helpful:

Linux xxxxxxxxxx 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 07:31:24 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--keith

--
kkeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx