Re: mkfs.xfs error creating large agcount an raid

On 6/27/11 8:04 AM, Paul Anderson wrote:
> One thing this thread indicates is the need for a warning in mkfs.xfs
> - according to several developers, there is, I think, linear increase
> in allocation time to number of allocation groups.
>
> It would be helpful for the end user to simply issue a warning stating
> this when the AG count seems high with a brief explanation as to why
> it seems high.  I would allow it, but print the warning.  Even a
> simple linear check like agroups>500 should suffice for "a while".

I disagree.

There are all sorts of ways a user can shoot themselves in the foot with
unix commands.  Detecting and warning about all of them is a fool's errand.

= Warning!  mkfs.xfs detected insane =
=   option specification.  Cancel?   =
=      [   OK   ]     [ Cancel ]     =

-Eric