Re: 2 question about XFS fragmentation and _fsr: SPLITTED Q1:sparese files

Note: I have splitted my previous letter for easyer discusion...
This have only Question-1 the storage with only sparse files.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Hoeppner" <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Janos Haar" <janos.haar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: 2 question about XFS fragmentation and _fsr

Janos Haar put forth on 4/11/2011 12:39 PM:

In the result, actually we have >6TB images on the 3TB disk, wich is
97.9% fragmented.

How much free space does the filesystem have?  How big is each image
file?  For xfs_fsr to work properly it must have sufficient free space
in the filesystem.

Actually less than 1%.
I know, this is too less for xfs_fsr, but i am only thinking actually to try because i am unsure this is useful for me.

Basically the sparse RAW disk images should be more faster accessible
than the original drive, because this is 4disk raid, instead of one, AND
the head don't need to travel through the empty space of the drive...

It sounds like you may have some other issues besides filesystem
fragmentation.

The XFS_FSR can be good for me or not?

If you have plenty of free space.

--