Re: 2 question about XFS fragmentation and _fsr: SPLITTED Q2:normal files, samba share

Note: I have splitted my previous letter for easyer discusion...
This have only Question-2 the storage with only normal files and samba share.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Hoeppner" <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Janos Haar" <janos.haar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: 2 question about XFS fragmentation and _fsr

Janos Haar put forth on 4/11/2011 12:39 PM:
Question 2:
One of our customers have one storage wich is exactly the same like the
one wich is described on the Q1, but only used for samba storage for
storing media files (big files.)

Writing large files sequentially shouldn't cause fragmentation.

I am sure, there is no torrent or similar, and i have told to the
customers on the beginning "don't write more files parallel, to avoid
fragmentation", but today the storage is >95% fragmented.
The customer sad, he only does file write one by one, and nothing more.
How can this be?

What were the mkfs.xfs arguments you used when creating these
filesystem?  Please share xfs_info output for the filesystems in
question, and details of the underlying hardware RAID storage.

This was the default.

xfs_info /dev/loop0
meta-data=/dev/loop0 isize=256 agcount=32, agsize=114269833 blks
        =                       sectsz=512   attr=0
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=3656634656, imaxpct=25
        =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal               bsize=4096   blocks=32768, version=1
        =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0

--
Stan

Thanks,
Janos