Re: XFS Performance on NetApp

On Mittwoch, 27. Oktober 2010 Dave Chinner wrote:
> However, options that
> reduce filesystem fragmentation (e.g. allocsize) still have value in
> keeping the amount of metadata and ptotential seeks down...

Yes, but for NetApp: maybe. With this whole deduplication thingy, I
wonder if even such a simple assumption is true. And then some people
make a snapshot every hour, whichmeans your log will wander around on
the storage anyway. So it's best to "just use it".

Another thing just crosses my mind: on a thin provisioned system, would
the TRIM command be useful? Do such storages recognise this command? It
would be very clever, I think. Let's say you run xfs_fsr, that would
allow the upper layer to relaim unused space. Would that be the storage
or XenServer/VMware which needs to understand this command?

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

it-management Internet Services